Present Location: News >> Blog >> Watch out for Quagga upgrades!


> Watch out for Quagga upgrades!
Posted by prox, from Seattle, on May 07, 2016 at 14:00 local (server) time

I upgraded dax from FreeBSD 10.2 to FreeBSD 10.3 this morning.  Since I haven't upgraded ports in awhile I upgraded net/quagga from to 1.0.20160315 and boy that was a mistake!

First off, my IPv6 default route wasn't getting redistributed anymore.  I've got a static IPv6 route in zebra pointing to Internap's upstream router:

ipv6 route ::/0 2001:48c8:1:2::1

It's seen fine by zebra:

S>* ::/0 [1/0] via 2001:48c8:1:2::1, em0

However, bgpd doesn't see it at all:

dax_bgpd# show ipv6 bgp ::/0
% Network not in table

The redistribution statement I've got in bgpd isn't doing any good, apparently:

router bgp 65304
 bgp router-id
 address-family ipv6
 redistribute static route-map IPv6_ADVERTISE_STATICS
ipv6 prefix-list IPv6_DEFAULT seq 5 permit ::/0
route-map IPv6_ADVERTISE_STATICS permit 10
 match ipv6 address prefix-list IPv6_DEFAULT

I managed to get this working without restarting the daemons by doing this a few times in zebra:

no ipv6 route ::/0 2001:48c8:1:2::1
ipv6 route ::/0 2001:48c8:1:2::1

This fixed it once, but it wasn't consistent, so that's a fail.

While I was trying to fix this, I noticed that some of my single-homed VPN tunnels from dax appeared down, but it was because bgpd wasn't consistently advertising my IPv6 prefixes over the EBGP sessions.  I couldn't figure it out but I didn't spend too much time on it.  2001:48c8:1:1ff::3a is an example VPN neighbor that isn't getting all of the IPv6 routes and 2001:48c8:1:105::/64 is a LAN prefix in Seattle, where my desktop sits.

(dax:13:31:EDT)% show ipv6 bgp 2001:48c8:1:105::/64
BGP routing table entry for 2001:48c8:1:105::/64
Paths: (4 available, best #4, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
  Advertised to non peer-group peers:
  2001:48c8:1:1ff::6 2001:48c8:1:1ff::16 2001:48c8:1:1ff::1e 2001:48c8:1:1ff::32 2001:48c8:1:1ff::3a 2001:48c8:1:1ff::52 2001:48c8:1:1ff::56

bgpd says it's advertising it above just fine to 2001:48c8:1:1ff::3a, but advertising-routes says otherwise.  The remote box, firefly, doesn't see it at all.  I lost the command output when I closed the terminal in a fit of rage.

Anyway, I downgraded to using ports-mgmt/portdowngrade and rebuilt.  All of the problems magically disappeared.  I suppose I'll try to reproduce this on a FreeBSD VM and see what I can figure with some debugging enabled.

I'm thinking of switching to BIRD but I'll have to do it when I've got a bit more time on my hands.

> Add Comment

New comments are currently disabled for this entry.